by Elizabeth Lemuz
![]() |
| Her Campus |
When a new movie is coming out I don't ever really think if the movie is being advertised at women or men. I normally see the trailers and decide if it appeals to me and then I decide to go watch it.
An article by Vogue online covers the new releases that are attracting women to more movies. Some of those are Cinderella, Tomorrowland, Inside Out, Magic Mike XXL, Trainwreck, and Paper Towns. The article discusses how the movie industry has done a disservice to women lately with all the action and comic movies that have been released back-to-back.
I do say that what this article in Vogue is saying about the interest of women are narrowed down to sex and emotion. These movies all have either one of these things that are attracting the eyes of women.
I personally watched Cinderella because when I saw the trailer, I loved how the director made a classic come to life with so much color. There are women who don't believe in fairy tales, but then there are some who actually do. This is a movie that those women probably wanted to watch because it is a factor.
There are other movies like Magic Mike XXL that are directed at women because of the sexual content. I personally am not interested in watching this movie because of that reason, but then there are women who are interested in this type of entertainment.
The movie Tomorrowland is said to appeal to women because George Clooney is in the film. Women will watch this movie because a specific male actor will be in it.
I do think that there are movies for men and women specifically, but I don’t know if it is right to be pointing out which ones women are going to watch and which men are going to watch. There are many women who would enjoy going to see an action movie like Fast 6 over watching Cinderella. I think it’s too much of a stereotype to put women and men in a certain group when it comes to appealing to certain genders.
These are things that the movie industry has to put into perspective, but I think this is another way of advertising movies. Vogue is a women’s magazine and this is a great way to promote these new releases to this gender group. Like I said before, I do believe there are movies that appeal only to women and that men wouldn’t enjoy at all, but I think it’s not a good way to include in the media why women will watch these movies.
Citation:
"Hollywood Is Finally Paying Attention To Female Moviegoers." Vogue. Vogue, 2015. Web. http://www.vogue.com/12891075/hollywood-box-office-female-moviegoers/?mbid=social_twitter

No comments:
Post a Comment